Friday, January 22, 2016

Conservatism Works

I heard a quote a while back that has always stuck with me.  The great Winston Churchill once said,

"Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time." 

I believe the same could be said for conservatism as a philosophy.  One of my friends on social media posted this link:
https://themarshallreport.wordpress.com/2016/01/22/the-conservative-party-has-failed-its-time-to-be-american/
While I agree that we all need to be American and remember why this is so great, we who identify as conservatives cannot abandon conservatism.  In response to my friend's posting, here is the comment I left:

There is no "Conservative Party" but there should be.  The Republican Party has conservatives in it, but is mostly dominated in Washington by fence-riding middle-of-the-road moderates and liberal-lite leaners.  Conservatism hasn't failed because it's never been allowed to be 100% implemented.  The progressive RINOs always manage to gain control and work to compromise with the other side of the aisle, which translates to abandoning conservative principles in favor of liberal-friendly policies.  This article even proves what I'm saying, noting that most conservatives fall in line to join the lobbyists and progressives once in office.  Conservatism didn't fail the people in that case...those turncoats failed conservatism.  If conservatives in Washington would stick to their principles, gain momentum & not compromise, you'd see unparalleled success in this country.
I truly believe this.  While I'm still not sure which candidate is going to get the GOP nomination, I think the best one would be the person who proudly, boldly, and unashamedly carries the conservative banner from the very first to the very last second.

No comments: