Saturday, August 01, 2015

A Day in the Life

This journey that we're all taking is so many different adjectives all at once.  Just pick one and it fits.  We are all headed towards an ending, just all on a different timeline, and we all don't agree on how it will end, why it ends, or even if it is the actual "end".  What makes the trip worthwhile are the stops we make along the way, the side streets we take to see where they lead, and the errands we run when the opportunities present themselves.  Sometimes those events are so much of a juxtaposition that they can't possibly make sense together, but if we just look at the big picture like stepping away from a Magic Eye poster, we eventually see that everything does find a way of falling into place.  Today was one of those days for me.

--An unusually benign workday
--A traditional visit to a festival
--Thinking of two friends that buried grandparents today
--Losing a childhood pop culture hero
--Being thankful for the continued health of my friends' child
--Finding out I'm gaining a wonderful niece "in-law"

These are just some of the items that ended up on my itinerary today, some of which I expected and others I didn't.  Somehow they all worked together for one big roller coaster ride, allowing me to experience highs and lows.  Tomorrow I may not as easily be able to process the same kinds of emotional information, but tonight I've been able to handle it.  I feel I should share this because tonight, even if just for tonight, I feel as if life makes sense.  It's not all good, it's not all bad.  "It is what it is", he asserts, knowing the over-used cliché is like nails on a chalkboard to many but feeling it's the only proper phrase.  Not sure if this what you call a "normal" life, but at least tonight it sort of seems like it.

As always, feel free to comment, question, or criticize as you deem necessary or appropriate.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

life, like diabetes, is a series of highs and lows but you need to narrow those highs and lows to be as stable as you can be. It is a daily battle to be sure! Peace my friend, Roger