Sunday, October 23, 2011

Blogger's Block

My wife is watching another rerun of "Sex & The City", where Carrie Bradshaw (Sarah Jessica Parker) narrates every episode as if she's writing another of her columns. A lot of episodes show her in front of her laptop, typing away as if the right words and sentences come easily. For her, maybe they do. But for someone like me, I need the inspiration. Realizing I hadn't written here in a while, I signed on, read through some of my previous posts & tried to think of something interesting to write. What I came up with was this...what you're reading now. Interesting? I highly doubt it, but at least it's something.
My problem lately is that I really want to write, but the things I want to write about are best left in a diary. Does anyone actually do diaries anymore? Those handwritten day-to-day volumes of one's most inner-most thoughts seem to have gone the way of the dodo & the rotary phone, unless someone tells me they actually still use them. It's just become so easy for everyone to share what they're doing, where they're going, etc... via social media, but the thoughts that we think to ourselves & never dream of sharing with another living soul stay bottled up. Many times these thoughts are the things on which we continue to dwell until they eat a hole right through us. I'm not saying I have anything like that, but maybe a diary would still be a good idea for a lot of people who are struggling. Perhaps instead of therapy, drugs, or something else, a diary could be a big, inexpensive help. On the other hand, it could plunge someone further into madness or obsession, depending on how it's done.
So what have we learned from this post?
1) I still have nothing interesting to write after five months and I need to come up with something better for the next post.
2) I should not become a psychiatrist or therapist, as I'm suggesting a diary as a possible substitute to therapy or medication.
3) Quite possibly I'm the one who is most in need of therapy and/or medication.
4) I know Sarah Jessica Parker's character's name on "Sex and the City" so have I watched the show many times before? You bet your Manolo Blahniks. Does it make it any better if I say that most episodes I watched just to see Kristin Davis (Charlotte York on the show)? No? Well...I tried.
Keep checking in...I promise I'll write a better one soon!

No comments: