Tuesday, August 31, 2010

I'm Offended That You're Offended

If you've ever seen a movie or a TV show that shows the stereotypical auto repair shop or garage at a car dealership, you'll no doubt see calendars hanging up on the toolboxes of the mechanics/technicians or on the walls. Some have the types of cars the dealership sells, some will have antique autos of different body styles, and yet others will have pictures of a whole different kind of body...you know what I mean. Such a calendar hung at the back wall of the car dealership where I work, though it was nowhere near as risque as you might think. The tool companies that frequent the dealership will bring these calendars around yearly and distribute them to the techs that give them the most business. This particular calendar had beautiful women that were wearing revealing outfits, but could not be called scantily clad by any stretch of the imagination. Basically I've seen calendars that show a WHOLE lot more. Yet, on a recent walk-through by our insurance company, it was suggested to our owners that this calendar, in plain sight of customers, could be offensive and should be removed immediately. One of the owners immediately complied.

The question I have for you, ladies and gentlemen, is this: do I have any recourse that I may take for this action, which I deem to be offensive? Before you answer, I can already tell you the answer is no. I'm finding that in this day and age, especially in our country's current configuration, if you're offended by something someone says, does, thinks, etc... you immediately have the upper hand. Whatever ruling body in charge that can make a decision to pacify the offended party almost has no other choice but to give in to the demands. So by this choice, the offenders could now also become the offended, taking an offense to the offense felt by the original offended party (this really does make sense, people...if you need a program to follow, one is for sale). Back to my situation. Not that I looked at this calendar all that much, but it did have a certain beauty to it that was a change. Now, instead of taking a minute to look at this calendar, all I can see from my desk are the technicians...and believe me, this carnivore isn't into the sausage-fest.

I put it to you, ladies and gentlemen, that we as a people are getting too thin-skinned and sue-happy. Just because someone has a varying opinion from us or of us, we have to take offense to it. At the same time, we have to acquiesce to the needs of every individual, which is in all actuality impossible because we are all different. If that doesn't happen, it's time to get legal representation involved. Instead, why don't we just agree where we can but disagree if we must? I think we've got some work to do here in the country and this is just one of the areas that could use some help.

No comments: